It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Axis boats just rolled in
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:16 am 

I believe GM stopped producing the 383 block so Axis was forced to make a change (the 383 isn't a very good wakeboard boat motor anyways).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:37 am 
Team Axis

I beg to differ on the 383. Mine's run flawlessly this year and there is a tremendous difference in hole shot between my boat with the Raptor and my friends A22 with the 335.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:56 am 
Team Axis

I think Seth is implying the new LS3 produces its peak HP/Tq at a lower RPM (~3500 vs ~4500 for the 383). I used regularly drive a friends VLX w/383 and love it! I can only imagine how awesome the usable power in an LS3 motor will be. Now do I want to spring for the 2012 upgrade?????

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:28 pm 

Not bashing the motor by any means but it really isn't designed for that application. Its designed to be a high revving motor where wakeboard boats usually work better with more low end torque. And of course the raptor will have a better whole shot then the 335. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:55 pm 
Team Axis

6.2 nom nom nom

Last edited by Walter on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm 
Team Axis

FWIW, the 383 is a stroked 350. Same block, different crank. SHould make more torque through most of the RPM range. In "theory," they should make close to the same horsepower, as horsepower is strictly airflow, which is dictated by the intake, cam events, valve sizes, etc., and not displacement (there are friction differences which affect it, though). Regardless, I've been surprised to see so many folks indicated the standard engine is insufficient, and I've been shocked to read about "holeshot" issues. Shoot, wakeboards are pieces of cake compared to a slolam ski. Guess I am showing my age and background, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:04 pm 
Team Axis

Ive only once wanted for more power (may be twice), but im at 800' above sea level. Im Happy with the 335, but if its only $3k more, Id do it in a second.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:16 pm 
Team Axis

morrisdl wrote:
Ive only once wanted for more power (may be twice), but im at 800' above sea level. Im Happy with the 335, but if its only $3k more, Id do it in a second.

We're around 800 feet here, too. I grew up a bit south of Atlanta, about 900 feet, but skiing behind an 18' Chris Craft with a 283. I was shocked at how quickly you just pop up on a wakeboard compared to a single ski. Having an extra 150 horsepower is also helpful!

I generally buy the biggest engine when I buy cars, but I was trying to keep the cost of my boat down, so I got it with the base engine, no stereo, etc. I figured the base engine would be more than sufficient for my purposes, and so far, it has been (another caveat - I am VERY new to wakeboarding).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:15 pm 
Team Axis

King: it sounds like you are cheap like me :) we could be friends...lol. I too was trying to keep cost down so I went with the 335 and no stereo. I am not that new to wakeboarding and have my boat loaded and am very happy I ordered the 335. The bigger motor would be nice, but not necessary for me (also at approx 1000' elevation).

As far as the "holeshot" issue that is spoken of, it has nothing to do with pulling the rider out of the water. You are right that wakeboarders are easy to get up, with proper technique you can get a rider up and "riding" at idle speeds. (i have done this before). the holeshot concern is all about getting the #4000 boat with #1000 of gas and gear plus #3000+ of ballast up on plane, especially for those at elevation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:55 pm 
Team Axis

Johnnydefacto wrote:
King: it sounds like you are cheap like me :) we could be friends...lol. I too was trying to keep cost down so I went with the 335 and no stereo. I am not that new to wakeboarding and have my boat loaded and am very happy I ordered the 335. The bigger motor would be nice, but not necessary for me (also at approx 1000' elevation).

As far as the "holeshot" issue that is spoken of, it has nothing to do with pulling the rider out of the water. You are right that wakeboarders are easy to get up, with proper technique you can get a rider up and "riding" at idle speeds. (i have done this before). the holeshot concern is all about getting the #4000 boat with #1000 of gas and gear plus #3000+ of ballast up on plane, especially for those at elevation

Was less about being cheap (although I am!), and more about getting the boat into a range I could justify. That and I really don't need all the fancy stuff, I just needed something to get out on the water in, and get my kids skiing like Dad did me!!! Never thought I'd be able to get a new boat, but talking to the guy that owns Great Wakes Boating, I was convinced to look. He gave me the friend treatment, too, which was pretty much what sealed it.

Guess I always think of "holeshot" in the context of getting off of the line. Not into drag racing, but that's the context with which I'm most familiar. That is why I assumed starting out is what it meant. That and I was used to being drug under water for about 100 feet while getting up on one!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next